What is Shwmae Su’mae Day?
- An opportunity to celebrate the Welsh language in your community, workplace or school/university.
- It aims to encourage the people of Wales to start every conversation with “Shwmae” or “Su’mae”.
- Before long, a single Shwmae or Su’mae will turn into hundreds and thousands of greetings throughout the year
Who can get involved?
- It is open to everyone, of all ages, from all parts of Wales.
- Umbrella organisation, Dathlu’r Gymraeg, leads the activities but the day belongs to everyone who has an interest in seeing the Welsh language thrive.
- Whether a non-Welsh speaker, learner or fluent in Welsh – whatever your ability, the day is something we can celebrate together.
Swansea University is proud to be a bilingual university. Our student, staff and the public have the right to use their Welsh.
Make sure that you understand these rights under the Welsh Language Standards.
Academi Hywel Teifi is the Welsh-language powerhouse of the University, and is responsible for developing opportunities for students
to study elements of their course through the medium of Welsh.
They are also home to the Learn Welsh Swansea Bay
centre, and the Welsh department itself.
The Welsh language belongs to us all. Give it a go!
Student Communications Coordinator Friday October 15th, 2021
© Swansea University
Hosted by Information Services and Systems, Swansea University